Re: Peer liveliness

Hi Gregory,
I agree that Initial-Contact solves the problem most part, but not always.It works fine when there are site-to-site tunnels where both SGs have static IP addresses. But, this is not the case always
atleast in my part of world. Let me take an example:

Branch office network           Head office network
Security Gateway1-----Internet-------Security Gateway2

SG2 has static IP address and that can be configured as Peer SG IP address in Security Gateway1. But SG1 does not have static IP address and it gets the public IP address via DHCP client OR PPP from ISP.

In the above configuration, SG2 is always
responder and SG1 is always intiator. The way it
works is that, whenever SG1 gets the IP address, it
makes the tunnel with SG2.

Considering above scenario: When SG2 restarts,
since it does not know the SG1's IP address,
it can't send the INITIAL-CONTACT message.

2. There is no way to guarantee that Initial contact
message is sent/received reliably.
I feel it is always better to find out liveness of tunnel pro-actively, rather than entirely depending on peer to inform that it is dead and cameback.

Regards
Ravi

Gregory Lebovitz wrote:
w/in...