Re:2401bis Issue #68 -- VPNs with overlapping IP address ranges

At 9:06 +0530 9/18/03, Ravi Kumar wrote:
Hi Steve,
Since, there is one common method being followed (which does not require
any interoperability), I am trying to see whether we should make this requirement as
'Should' rather than 'MUST'.
Thanks
Ravi

Ravi,

How would you characterize the "common method" to which you refer? I recall no provisions in 2401 that would allow on to characterize locally processed IKE traffic for processing. When we wrote 2401 we assumed that folks understood that this traffic need not be subject to the SPD/SAD controls, but we didn't make that clear. Still, a less than "MUST" statement may be appropriate.

Steve