Re: [Ipsec] Is it mandatory to have the incoming and outgoing SA protocol and encryption/auth algorithms same?

At 4:03 PM +0530 6/9/06, Poorna Pushkala B wrote:
Hi,
I am relatively new to ipsec. Is it mandatory to have the incoming and outgoing Security Association protocol (AH/ESP) and encryption/auth algorithms same? I went through RFC 2401, though it defines a Security Association, it is not clear if for a given VPN tunnel, the incoming and outgoing SAs should use the same protocol ( AH/ESP).

Can you help me?

Thanks & Regards
Kala. B

Yes, both SAs make use of the same security protocol and algorithms. Look at the definition of an SPD entry for confirmation of this convention.

Steve