RE: Results of protocol straw poll

At 07:55 PM 5/2/01 -0700, Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
At 7:26 PM -0700 5/2/01, Glen Zorn wrote:
Paul Hoffman / VPNC [mailto:paul.hoffman@xxxxxxxx] writes:

 Greetings again. Thank you to everyone who expressed short or long
 opinions on the protocol straw poll. There were 18 public messages
 and 4 private messages. The totals are:

 GetCert:                 4
 PIC:                     7
 No new protocol:         8
 Whatever the leader is:  3

 I think it is safe to assume that the "whatever the leader" votes
 were for "the leader between PIC and GetCert".

Why? By your count, the leader is "No new protocol".

No, by my count the "whatever the leader" folks bring PIC up to 10. If you want to interpret the votes for "whichever is the leader" as going towards "no new protocol", that's fine, but it seems pretty unlikely that this was their intention.

It is incorrect, at least, to say that PIC+3 constitutes a majority, since I count 22 votes cast.

Maybe you want to have a run-off between PIC and no new protocol.
--
Greg

  BTW, I saw several
votes for protocols other than PIC and GetCert which do not appear to be
reflected in the above.

Correct.

In particular, Uri Blumenthal voted for CRACK

...which I counted as "no new protocol"...

, and
Bill Sommerfeld said "either getcert or pic".

...which I counted as "whatever the leader is"...

Does Uri's vote not count?

Yes, it does. As did yours (which was sent to me privately and not sent to the mailing list).

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium