RE: Reminder: last call for PIC in the IPSRA WG

Dear Andrew,

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Andrew Krywaniuk wrote:

> In terms of the DoS potential of the Internet, I think we've only seen the
> tip of the iceberg. It's definitely better to have some kind of cookie
> exchange. I believe William brought up the lack of DoS protection at the
> IETF meeting, along with a question about the hash calculation.

I referred to the DoS protection via cookies in my previous message
to Markus. It is doable, the question is if there is consensus.

> I also wonder about the hash calculation. When Hugo was asked why we're not
> using the revised hash in PIC, he replied that the situation that motivated
> the development of revised hash in IKE doesn't exist in PIC. I guess that's
> true (PIC says you can't include notify or vendor id payloads until after
> the first hash has been sent), but I still wonder what's the point? Is there
> any advantage to the particular hash calcuation that is described in PIC?

In PIC we have HASH_R in the second message, and HASH in second, third and
fourth messages. HASH is used to authenticate each of the EAP payloads
(except payload headers -- see (*) below) so it serves for providing the
cryptographic authentication of the exchanged information and does
not require further complication (e.g. it does not require including
packets from previous messages as suggested in the revised-hash draft).

As for HASH_R we are going to include the full ISAKMP headers from both
messages 1 and 2 under HASH_R which cover CKY-I and CKY-R as in IKE
but also the Major and Minor numbers.
ANother important change in the  calculation of HASH_R in PIC
is that it corrects the IKE's typo of missing SA_r from
the authenticated information under HASH_R.  Moreover, in PIC also
SA_i is included under HASH_R so the client can verify that its SA
proposals were not modified in route.

Hugo

(*) This, however, requires one "design disclaimer" that appears in the
PIC document (end of section A.1 in the 03 draft):

 ``Another design decision made in order not to change the regular ISAKMP
   processing is to apply authentication (under the HASH payload)
   to base payloads only and not to payload headers. Authenticating
   all bits, including headers, would have been a better approach but
   also in this case we have favored ISAKMP compatibility. ''