RE: Enterprise-only or more...

At 2:17 PM -0700 7/3/07, Santosh Chokhani wrote:
Steve,

How about the following for a Trust Anchor Definition.

A Trust Anchor is a Public key and associated information that a relying
party uses for signature verification.  If the trust anchor is limited
in scope, the associated information includes the scope.  Examples of
scope are name spaces, certificate policies, application/usage types,
and any combination of the above.

I think every TA is nominally limited in scope. For example, there seems to be agreement that we intend to be able to manage more than one TA. If we have two or more TAs, and if there is no scope associated with each of them, we may get into ambiguous or non-deterministic situations. Even if a TA is authorized to do everything, I'd like to see that stated explicitly. So I'm not fond of the "If a TA is limited in scope" part of this definition.

Your list of example scopes is a good start, but "any combination of the above" to be "tends to counter the notion of these as just examples.

How about:

A Trust Anchor is a Public key and associated information that a relying
party uses for signature verification. The associated information often is used to define the scope of a trust anchor, by imposing constraints on the signatures it may be used to verify. For example, if a trust anchor is used to verify signatures on X.509 certificates, these constraints may include a combination of name spaces, certificate policies, or application/usage types.

Steve